Work in Progress (No, really)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

man....afghanis

+ No comment yet
I didn't realize they rap so much. I've read rap is getting popular in Iraq so it makes sense that it'd be popular in Afghanistan.

The thing that gets me is that in a lot of these videos they're rapping against all the powers in their country and the problems...while at the same time wearing a New York Yankees hat and aviator glasses. I'm not going to say that there's anything wrong with that fashion style, but it seems, on some level at least, to defeat the purpose of the song? Maybe it's just me. I mean, i realize that if you keep nit-picking then we could go much further. And I guess there's also the fact a lot of times people don't even realize what they're wearing means. (-cough-japanesepeople-cough-) In addition, it's might just be a knock-off, or sweat-shop labor manufactured (hence, cheaper).

You can't export democracy, or you're values, but it seems like everyone is willing to import pop-culture. (And it's not like this is a secret either, I mean people have written phd's on how films help cement racist ideas or perceptions).


This post was the result of me youtubing "afghani" and bouncing around for a while on the good ole' youtube. Very little racism is intended (but not none?!?!).

Post a Comment