Work in Progress (No, really)

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Psych

+ No comment yet
I only watch two shows regularly, or semi-regularly. One of those two shows is Psych.

Modern-day Ebony and Ivory


I don't know how many people I've told to watch this how. I do know that zero people that I've recommended this show to have actually watched it. Sad, really. I want to say, "more for them than me," but really it's pretty sad for me. Regardless (and not irregardless as I was recently reminded), this is an amazing show. The show follows a fake psychic detective who works with the local law enforcement to solve crimes. (Originally its to make sure the cops don't think he committed a crime, and later he has to keep up the psychic notion. In actuality, he's just has amazing observational skills and memory.) Generally the plots aren't anything mind-blowing; however, this is a show that lives by the axiom that the journey is more important that the destination.

A good friend recommended this show to me in my senior year of high school. At that point I think this show was in its second season. To this day I still enjoy the show and have watched many of the episodes multiple times.

The jokes are good. The popular culture references are good. The zany psychic act is still funny. The show is just damn good. They used to do ad-lib stuff too, but they do it less and less (they said it was since the writing kept improving.) You can even try to spot the pineapple that appears in every episode. (Interestingly enough, this was one of those ad-lib things that they just kept).

Shawn Spencer is crazy, and Burton "Gus" Guster plays the straight-faced partner. The best thing about the series is the evolution of the characters. Gus definitely comes into his own as the series progresses and even Shawn changes -- dare I say, slightly matures! The characters are really the thing that drives this show. Damn good actors, each and every one of them -- main and supporting, and even the guest stares (which get more and more famous with every season).

Shawn (James Roday) is funny, goofy and charismatic. His partner in crime (or rather, crime-solving), Gus (Dulé Hill), is attempts to be Shawn's voice of reason and helps to solve crimes. He's one of the reasons the show really shines. Instead of being a mundane, straight-laced side-kick, Gus is a developed character who has his own sense of individuality. He makes positive contributions to show, whether it being solving crimes or adding to the comedy. I can't believe he was in West Wing!

Lassiter (Timothy Omundson) is the head detective who's skeptical of Shawn's "abilities." They often butt heads, which usually results in Lassie being on the receiving end of some humiliating jokes. He usually tries to  compete with Shawn and Gus to solve the crimes (even though they end up working together many times).

And this is only the tip of the iceberg. We didn't even talk about Juliet! Heck, I could write a post for each and every character in this show and talk about how amazingly great they are (and how they've evolved). Maybe I will dedicate some posts to them in the future.



And of course, the psych-outs:


There's so much I could write about this show, but all that matters is that if you haven't seen this show yet, you need to! It's ingeniously funny and better than most of the crap on the tele. Also, although it's usually a pretty laid-back show, it does at times shift gears (and those episodes are amazing too).


I'm going to buy the iphone case they use o.o If they have one for the 4g model. (No, I don't own a 4gs, just the regular 4g).





Post a Comment